- 1 1/4 pounds mild or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 large onion
- 1 (16-ounce) package hot roll mix
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups (16 ounces) Dragone® Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) romano cheese, finely shredded
- 1 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) Shredded Parmesan Cheese
In a large skillet, crumble the sausage and cook it with the onion until browned. Drain well and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Make the hot roll mix according to the package directions for pizza, replacing the egg and butter with hot water and olive oil. Let the dough stand 5 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into an oval about 5x7 inches.
In a medium bowl, toss together the Dragone® Mozzarella Cheese and romano cheese. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture in the center of each oval. Top each with 1/3 cup of the cooked sausage, 2 tablespoons of the sauce and another 1/3 cup of the cheese mixture. Bring up the edges of the dough to form a football shape and seal securely. Place the calzone, seam-side up, on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Bake the calzones until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven, brush them lightly with butter and sprinkle each with 1/2 tablespoon of the Shredded Parmesan Cheese. Return them to the oven until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Let them stand 5 minutes before serving.