- 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 jar (24–26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups (6 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1 (15-ounce) container Dragone® Whole Milk or Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Dragone® Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese, freshly shredded
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
Brown the Italian sausage with the peppers in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until the sausage is no longer pink, about 12 minutes. Pour off the drippings.
Stir in the marinara sauce and water and bring it to a boil. Then, stir in the pasta and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until the pasta is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the cheeses and parsley and set them aside.
Spoon the cheese mixture in 12 dollops on top of the pasta mixture and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the pasta is tender and the cheese is slightly melted, about 15 minutes. Garnish with additional Shredded Parmesan Cheese, as desired.